Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Test Day...

So, I had my glucose test last week to test for gestational diabetes. I apparently failed miserably. So today I had to have a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. For those who have been through this before, it is one more thing to add to the list for the new found respect I have for pregnant women. For those of you who haven't, let me tell you what I had to go through today. First, for the last 3 days I have been on a high protein, low sugar diet. I tried to follow it, but mostly just cut out the snickers and ice cream and brownies and cookies and the rest of the high sugar items I normally consume. I had to fast after midnight and be at the doctor at 8:15. Well at 8:45 I pee in a cup and have my blood drawn.. 2 tubes of blood. Then i had to drink a bottle of the sunkist flavored stuff with 100 grams of sugar in it, which taste like a 5 lbs bag of sugar diluted into a Sunkist. It doesn't really taste bad, just SUPER SWEET. OK, so then at 9:45 I have to pee in a cup and have 2 more tubes drawn. The same at 10:45 and then the same again at 11:45. Let me remind you I had not eaten since the night before, have just ingested 100 grams of sugar on an empty stomach and had 8 tubes of blood drawn. I was getting very woozy. The first 2 tubes tested were my fasting glucose levels which were normal. YAY. The second was high.. not yay. The third was normal and so it all came down to test number 4. AND they told me I would have to wait. The lab should call tomorrow to let me know if it was normal or high. If it's normal, I am just borderline diabetic and will need to be more careful about the sugar I eat. If it is high, then I will have to go see a nutritionist and be put on a strict diet until AJ gets here.

After we got done with the testing, Tony and I went down 3 floors to the birthing suits to see a friends new baby. Leigh Ledbetter Edwards had her second baby this morning. Anna Leigh Edwards was 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long and cute as a bug. Leigh had a C-section so she was pretty tired but looked great and was a real trooper. It made me want AJ here that much more. Anna and AJ will probably be boyfriend and girlfriend.. lol! The important thing is mommy and baby are both healthy and doing great.

When we left the hospital, the first thing was to get something to eat as quickly as possible. I thought I was in the process of starving to death. I was getting very nauseated feeling and then a headache kicked in and then I started sweating. I felt horrible. I'm sure it was a combination of the days events, but I was absolutely miserable. After eating I thought this would all pass. NOPE. I ended up having to take the rest of the day off of work, which seemed to have aggravated my boss, but OH WELL, and came home and took a well deserved 2 hour nap. Then I was much better. Still kind of yucky feeling, but MUCH better.

As for any other news on the pregnancy, not much really is going on. Since the start of the third trimester I have been so tired I can't keep my eyes open, but find it so hard to sleep. Poor Tony is having to deal with me snoring like "a water buffalo" (his words, not mine). I figure its only fair, since I will do this temporarily and I will have to deal with his snoring from now on. I still feel as though I was not prepared at all for the pains of pregnancy and I am completely over being pregnant and would be happy to hire one of those ladies who just absolutely LOVES being pregnant as a surrogate for the next one. Not much longer though. Only about 10 more weeks!!!

As for the previously mentioned career news. I am now an Independent Mary Kay Consultant. Please feel free to let me know of any skin care or cosmetic needs you have. Please support my effort at one day being a stay at home mommy!!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

SO if your sugar is high don't that just mean you'll have a sweet baby?